Sunday, July 27, 2014

 
Russell Elementary History
       
1916 was a busy year for  school construction in Brownsville, Texas.  The second of three schools to be built that year was the West Brownsville School.  This school would later be named for Brownsville teacher Emaline B. Russell.  
 
Records show that Mrs. Russell, though an already experienced teacher, received a  country certificate to teach in 1912, four years before West Brownsville school opened.
  
She was both principal and classroom teacher at West Brownsville School for 26 years.  In gratitude for her many years of faithful service, the name of West Brownsville School was changed to Russell Elementary School in her honor.

No comments: